by Admin User -
Number of replies: 8

The website will be down for normally scheduled upgrades on 

File:A Worker at Linread (9717140968).jpg

Thursday, July 12, 2018.

In reply to Admin User

Re: Tech Upgrades

by Paul Malinoski -

I'm 99.8% sure that's a spring making attachment for a lathe...

Someday I'll get/make one... :)

Yep. I just did a couple seconds of research and it most definitely is a spring making mechanism... Although I'm a little confused why it's being used for a online school upgrade... ;P.

"Old" machines fascinate me... I don't view them as "chunks of metal" but I see many of them as individual works of art. An individual person/group of people had to put much thought and time into designing and creating each machine. In many cases, hundreds of parts have to work together in harmony and with exact precision to accomplish the end goal. Anyway, when I saw that image, I thought it looked familiar so I had to confirm what I thought it was.

P.S. If anyone is as weird as me about machinery, it is an image of a person working at the Linread Factory in Washington, UK. The date of this photograph is September 13th, 1967.

In reply to Paul Malinoski

by Malia Linde -

Yeah. sorry Paul, but that just looks like a "chunk of metal" to me.  ;p  

In reply to Malia Linde

by Paul Malinoski -

by Grace Olivia Weaver -
Technically, it is a chunk of metal, but it's just made into something.
In reply to Grace Olivia Weaver

by Paul Malinoski -

Well if you really want to get into technicalities, it is technically many pieces of metal. You can call this lathe/spring making device a bunch of chunks of metal just like you can say that a tapestry just a bunch of bits of string.

by John Paul Clark -

Sorry, Paul I’m afraid that the date is actually Thursday July 12 2018, that’s what the picture says!

In reply to John Paul Clark

by Paul Malinoski -
J.P.J. Clark, I'm afraid that you are wrong! I have evidence to support my claim:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/twm_news/9717140968

The date that you were referring to is the date that the RAS website would be down. Not the date that the picture was taken. ;)

I know that you're teasing but I can't help... :D